Monday, April 9, 2012

Thing 5 - Pinterest and Diigo


Pinterest grabbed members of my family before it sank its claws into me, but it’s got me at last.  I’m collecting ideas for our current house renovation and grabbing library signage ideas as well.  Then there are some travel ideas…and recipes…  I love the visual aspect of Pinterest.  Its graphic nature makes it a natural for collecting sites to use with elementary students and in libraries, in general.  http://edudemic.com/2012/03/20-ways-libraries-are-using-pinterest-right-now/ 
Pinterest competitor Clipix  www.clipix.com offers a privacy or friends-only option for clipping/pinning graphics.  That might be a nice option in a school setting.  I haven’t tried Clipix at school yet, but I suspect that it may be blocked by our filter as is Pinterest and a great many Web 2.0 tools.  The filter is a topic for another day.

Diigo is less visually appealing than Pinterest, but its sticky note and highlighting features make it very useful.  Kids could benefit from gathering information on a Diigo page, annotating the site and assigning tags.  I’m not yet up to speedwith Diigo but have been diiging pages to read later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment